There Are Lots of Ways to Help
Most of the need for volunteers is related to a presence in-world. While not all our work requires an in-world presence in Second Life, most of it does. It is very possible for someone to volunteer to help, but not have to be at the region all the time.
- Ministers to conduct brief worship services. We do services on Sundays and during the week. Schedules will be adjusted as seems to make sense. All worship styles are more than welcome. We have lots of worship places both virtual indoor and outdoor.
- Guides (think “Usher” in real life churches) to welcome guests and show them around. We have two full regions in Second Life including a Worship Center, a Conference Center, paths to walk with places to sit and relax, and two dance clubs for socializing and much more!
- Support persons in scheduling, helping folks learning to navigate Second Life, and project outreach, publicity, fund-raising and other administrative functions.
- Prayer support! Please keep this cutting edge ministry in your prayers.
Volunteers don’t require any special training. Our ministers will – with the exceptions of guests who we will always welcome – come from the ranks of authorized UCC ministers. Here is what we think is needed for the several sorts of opportunities. And, of course, we will provide training for volunteers.
- For clergy participation we are looking for persons who are ministers in the United Church of Christ. However, we welcome occasional guest preachers and worship leaders from other religious traditions. We believe the great questions of faith have many answers and we are open to different views.
- Ministerial standing is not required to be a worship leader. Seminary students, members in discernment, lay preachers in UCC churches, lay persons — all are welcome to participate. We are an open and affirming ministry!
- Guides need one skill. Friendliness. That’s it. If you are a people person you will fit right in.
Finally, we know that none of us is nearly as insightful as all of us. So, if you have a thought, an idea, or a question, please be in touch! We would love to hear from you!